Monday 30 November 2020

The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright

 You can certainly tell where the author hails from as you can feel the battle with dialect on the page.  Leads to some fun sentence structures that whilst grammatically incorrect are actually dialetically (is that a word? it is now) correct.  At times I felt like it was one of my co-workers talking to me just purely because of the vaguely odd sentence structure that kept rearing it's head - got to love the Midlands peeps.

Anyhow, on to the story.  Think The Mist crossed with The Day after Tomorrow.  Only thing is the beings lurking in the snow are not dinosaurs but something rather more aetheric.  Also being set in the UK rather than the US the main setting is a spit and sawdust pub.  Like any "good" British pub it has a set of characters that are a tad peculiar but they are what keep the place in business so are tolerated and everyone would notice if they did not appear at their scheduled time.

I did enjoy how multi-faceted a lot fo the characters were, once we got in to their back stories a little it certainly improved things.  The whole thing is just a little loose though, needs tightening up in places as any built tension dissipates too much in places and you find yourself wanting to just put the book down and give up on it.  Worth persevering with though and overall it was a jolly enough romp.

This review has been a long time coming.  I actually read this book between the 18th and 20th June 2020 so my memory is a bit foggy about all the plot lines.  Fortunately, I have a notebook where I jot some initial thoughts on the book and an overall ranking so between the book blurb and that I did have a reasonable handle on what I thought at the time of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...