Monday 30 November 2020

No More Bad Dates by Kate O'Keeffe

 2.5 Stars

Oh dear, I really don't know where to start with the plot for this one.  The whole thing makes me feel exceptionally uncomfortable - next time read the blurb before purchasing!  Even worse from about the second or third chapter in you know exactly where this is going to go and the author does not disappoint, she goes down the obvious route.  I would have enjoyed this more if there had been a twist in the tale, but, NO, she takes the path most travelled.

The only saving grace for this book is the humour with which it is told.  Whilst I didn't laugh out loud, it did raise the odd wry grin and some of the dating situations were amusing if a little out there.  We all have bad dating stories but I am sure few of us have ones as extreme as our heroine - sorry, I can't remember anyone's name in this book.

The family dynamics are also worrying.  It definitely left me glad that I don't have siblings if this is how those relationships really are.  Fortunately, this is fiction so again we only see the down sides with the odd bit of familial closeness.

On the whole there are much better books in this genre that won't leave you feeling quite so uncomfortable after reading them.  It just left me feeling vaguely disgusted - a moue of distaste if you will.

This review has been a long time coming.  I actually read this book between the 23rd and 25th June 2020 so my memory is a bit foggy about all the plot lines.  Fortunately, I have a notebook where I jot some initial thoughts on the book and an overall ranking so between the book blurb and that I did have a reasonable handle on what I thought at the time of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...