Thursday 26 November 2020

Talking With Serial Killers by Christopher Berry-Dee

 Despite the title of the book and the publisher's blurb this felt like it was all information I could have gleaned for myself with just a bit of online searching and a dose of patience.  I'm not too sure about the veracity of the author's claims that he was in personal contact with each and every one of these people as there doesn't appear to be anything in the book that feels like it is new information.  

Now, that's not to say I didn't enjoy the read because I did - very much.  The book tends to cover the backstory of the Killers that are included and that is the information I am interested in.  I am less interested in the when and how than in the why.  The nearest we can get to answers on the Why question is by looking at the upbringing of the person and how their behaviour was growing up.  Because that is what interests me, I enjoyed this book.  It also helps that it covered cases I was completely unaware of so this likelyy made it much more interesting for me.

The full list of the killers covered is:

Michael Bruce Ross
Ronald Joseph "Butch" Defeo
Aileen Carol Wuornos
Kenneth Allen McDuff
Douglas Daniel Clark and Carol May Bundy
Henry Lee Lucas

Of these I had only heard of Defeo and Wuornos at the time of reading.  As these things go I then saw documentaries online about a couple of the other people/cases and if we're being honest they probably gave me more information that this supposed expose.  Yes, I am sticking with my initial 4 Star review on this because I really did enjoy this read and it did give me information I did not have at the time of reading.

This review has been a long time coming.  I actually read this book between the 22nd and 25th May 2020 so my memory is a bit foggy about all the plot lines.  Fortunately, I have a notebook where I jot some initial thoughts on the book and an overall ranking so between the book blurb and that I did have a reasonable handle on what I thought at the time of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...