Monday 30 November 2020

Secrets Of The Greek Revival by Eva Pohler

 3.5 Stars

The historical bit of the book I really enjoyed.  Had a feel of the first season of American Horrosr Story for me but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  What let things down for me was the three main characters - Ellen, Sue and Tanya - at various times they behave in ways that I find abhorrent.  They each complain of feeling invisible in some way and then each of them proceeds to treat other people in the way they feel treated; this isparticularly annoying with their close personal relationships.

Put that aside and this is a pretty good cosy mystery with a touch of the gothic.  The slow unravelling of the history of the house and it's prior occupants does keep you interested and makes you want to keep reading.  Some of the set pieces with the neighbours and the spookier happenings in the house can verge on the trite but it is still an enjoyable read.  Nothing really new but it does entertain.

This review has been a long time coming.  I actually read this book between the 21st and 23rd June 2020 so my memory is a bit foggy about all the plot lines.  Fortunately, I have a notebook where I jot some initial thoughts on the book and an overall ranking so between the book blurb and that I did have a reasonable handle on what I thought at the time of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...