Wednesday 28 October 2020

Lego Car Transporter 42098

 I was on the fence about this build and then I checked the vehicle dimensions of the blue car that comes with the set and it matched the Corvette ZR1 (42093).  So, I decided I was going to purchase this kit to use as a display option as well as being a model in its own right.

First thing first this thing is HUGE when built.  The size of the included car should have been a clue I know but the finished size meant I had to find a new location for it as no way would it fit in the space I had earmarked for it.  How big is it you ask.  Well on the bottom deck I have the blue car and the ZR1 and on the top deck it houses the London Bus (10258) and the VW Camper Van (10220).  Yes it easily takes the weight of these larger builds and they do fit properly although they do not lock in place.

Everything on this unit works and you can line the ramps up to get vehicles on and off both the trailer and the main truck.  From what little I know of Car Transporters (which you could write on the back of a postage stamp and have room left over) the functionality seems to be accurate.  Some new techniques were used in this build and made it hold my interest despite the huge amount of pieces you are dealing with.  Although the kit comes with numbered bags it is just portioned up in to 3 sections  - the car, the main truck and then the trailer.  So expect lots of sorting before you can start.

Even worse there are a LOT of stickers in this kit.  None of them were particularly onerous to site and they do add to the look, especially on the truck cab.

I spread the build over 3 days as real life intervened but I really enjoyed it the challenge.  Yes, there is some repetitive work going on in this set but the designers have changed things up here and there with a different technique to get to the same end point.  Definitely one of my favourites from a build point of view.

Number Of Pieces: 2493

Approximate Price Per Piece: £0.06

Build Time: 11.5 Hours











 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...