Thursday 10 September 2020

My Lego Workspace

 Room is short in a terraced house so I build in the Living Room and we have left the dining table permanently up in the middle of the room pushed up against the TV stand.  Works well as the TV stand top is level with the table.  What doesn't work as well is the fact the table is a Black Ash effect finish (so 1980's and it is!) so not the best surface for building on.  The other half's bright idea was to get a cheap white tablecloth to act as both a cushion on the surface and for a better contrast with the bricks.  I couldn't get one at the local supermarket but what I did get was a single bed loose sheet, works just as well don't you think:


Of course, when working on a big build I often run out of room, this was especially an issue with the Roller Coaster so the other half dug out an old collapsible table he bought 10+ years ago.  It is meant as outdoor furniture but has been languishing unused under the stairs ever since.  Makes a great resting spot for the unopened bags and other bits and bobs whilst on a build.  Also works great of the boy wants to build at the same time as me and I am on a big build so swamping the main table, he just throws an old sheet over the surface to stop smaller elements falling through the slats and he can build too.


Yes, that is a headlamp on top of my current build manual.  The energy saving bulbs in the living room give an orange light that isn't particularly bright so can make distinguishing similar coloured bricks difficult.  A problem I encountered on my current build.  My other half had picked this head torch up for cheap, cheap at the local supermarket in preparation for putting the bins out in the darker months that are about to hit.  Think he has now lost it to me for my builds.  Strangely comfortable to wear and frees both hands up to sort and build in a way using your mobile phone's flashlight doesn't.

So, with two of us building that means a lot of boxes, spare bricks and build manuals flying around.  I had already bought an assortment of ziplock and clip seal food bags from the supermarket along with some typewriter labels with that in mind.  Well, with breaking the kits back down in mind but we have been finding creative display solutions so we don't have to break anything up.  Decided that now we have so much it isn't practical to keep the boxes as they were just taking the bedroom over.  So, all the manuals and spare bits go in a handy plastic box (as you can see we need another one) and all the empty boxes get broken flat and stored in boxes from my larger builds:




Not a perfect system by any means but it is a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...