Friday 11 September 2020

Lego Diagon Alley 75978

 This is the largest set I have tackled to date, by quite some way and I was a little nervous about it just because of the size.  The fact that each book refers to one particular set of shops makes it easy to have a natural break off point.  So much so, I split this build over 4 days and it is a good job I did as there were some spots that challenged me and I probably would have made a right old mess of things if I had tried to "push it".

I really enjoyed all the little details inside the shops that really bring the sets to life.  I kept gasping as I built things because of the detail they added.  So much so I think I drove the other half up the proverbial wall - he just kept telling me "Yes, I know, I've watched a build video".

I'm not a big fan of stickers and there are a LOT of stickers in this build.  This is particularly true for Book 4, I felt like I spent ages trying to line everything up nice and neatly and I am actually surprised that I got most of them pretty accurate with only a smidge of unpeeling going on.  Was well worth it though as the finished product looks really good in my display cabinet - storefront side to the mirror at the back so you can see inside all the stores.    The storefronts themselves I really liked as well but I had to make a display decision and this seemed the best way.

I thoroughly enjoyed the build itself even if I did have issues with the chair/table arrangement on top of the Ice Cream Parlour and also with the Weasley hat lifting figure.  Not too keen on the wall clipping in to place behind it either as my fingers really struggled clipping it into place.  Got there in the end with both of them and only the figure problems seemed to be a a build issue.  The chair/table problem does seem to be a placement issue that you need to work around for yourself although I have seen it completed as per the manual image.

Number Of Pieces: 5,544

Approximate Price Per Piece: £0.07

Build Time:
Book 1 - Ollivander's and Scribbulus - 5.25 Hours
Book 2 - Quality Quidditch Supplies and Daily Prophet - 4 Hours
Book 3 - Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour and Flourish and Blotts - 5.75 Hours
Book 4 - Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and Knockturn Alley entrance - 7.5 Hours



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...