Saturday 10 February 2018

The Good Girlfriend's Guide to Getting Even by Anna Bell

I quite surprised myself by really enjoying this book and raising a wry grin in sections.  Lexi infuriated me with her flat out refusal to even speak to Will when she found out he had ditched her best friend's wedding to attend a football match.  But, seeing is this is the backbone of the whole book I suppose I shouldn't get too mad at her stubborn stupidity.

Some of her methods of revenge could have ended so badly - the episode in the Welsh cottage springs to mind as a major risk.  But nobody gets physically hurt by her exploits so I suppose all is good.  I did like the way that some of the exploits served to merely strengthen their relationship and give Lexi pause to think about her actions.  Of course she ignores those thoughts - silly girl.

The friendships and relationships in this book all read very realistically and it was good to see that not everything is always rosy, even for make believe people.  I also liked the fact that Ms Bell does not shy away from showing the down side of social media.  The pressure Lexi puts herself under to write a "popular" blog post leads her to take more and more risks and to even outright lie to garner more readers and keep her current readers involved.  With all that is said about using Social Media as a tool it is nice to see a warning counterpoint.

Fun story that will keep you up a little longer than you intended as it is written with warmth, gentle humour and just enough romance to soothe your heart.

**Review originally published December 30th, 2017**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...