Sunday 18 February 2018

Ignited by Desni Dantone

I wasn't exactly sure where this book was going at first.  Was the mysterious Nathan Nephilim?  Was he her Guardian Angel?  It even crossed my mind that he might be a were-creature of some sort. Turns out neither of those was the right answer, but the reveal of what the 5% of him is that isn't human takes a while.  When it comes it isn't particularly shocking but makes you wonder how you missed the clues - as they are there. 

The tale itself is well paced but the situations are a little fantastical.  I was with the characters most of the way though and did find that I cared what happened to them.  The only suspensions of disbelief were the car chase after the beach party and then the underground lair.  They just felt bolted into the story somehow and didn't have near the flow of the hideout at the little cabin, almost as if the author was trying too hard to get action into the tale.  It's not often I say this but maybe they should have been allowed a few more pages to develop instead of rushing into them.

The characterisation is particularly good for Kris, Nathan and Alex but everyone else is a bit too one dimensional for my tastes.  Although the character of Cassie, as the token full human, has promise to develop well in the further books in the series.  The blending of mythology in to a modern fantasy works well and the author has managed to make it feel relatively realistic whilst giving the feeling of worlds along the one we trust to be true.

All that said I didn't end the book wanting to rush and get the next in the series.  Written well enough with a fairly strong plot it just didn't grab me  enough to want to know how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...