Saturday 10 February 2018

Coming Home To Cuckoo Cottage by Heidi Swain

Ahhh, good old Wynbury - why do I keep forgetting about these books when Heidi Swain's writing gives me so much pleasure?  I had totally forgotten about her until she released another Christmas book set in the Fens of England and as soon as I started reading that one I had to go and see if I'd missed anymore and sure enough, this little beauty had slipped out.

Nice mix of new characters balanced against our old favourites from the Cherry Tree Cafe, Skylark Farm and the Market.  It's always a good sign when you are reading and come across a familiar character (Jemma and Lizzie I am looking at you, along with townie Amber) and you immediately recall their past history.  The characters live and breathe and it is kind of embarrassing to admit that I do feel like I know these fictional people.

Fortunately Ms Swain has stuck to what she knows best in this latest tale in the saga - people.  Although there are lots of things happening here first and foremost this is a tale about the people involved.  Told in, the now expected, first person we see the events unfold from the position of our main protagonist Lottie who is at times naive, gullible, feisty, introverted, lazy and lost but who is never boring or feels like she has just been stamped out of some sort of master book of character traits.  This holds true for the 2 major characters Matt and Will and I will admit to wondering even 75% of the way through which one would be the best for Lottie - even though at 30% I was sure who it should be.  Luckily 30% me was right but I now need to give 75% me a good talking too! 

In case it isn't clear from the above I read on an e-reader so always know how far through a book I am.  Although, in this instance it didn't really matter as I read it in one shot only breaking off to make a quick cheese on toast lunch and then back to curling up with a cat on my knee and an exasperated husband who was trying to get a conversation out of me but couldn't raise more than a distracted grunt.

I am now going to put reminders to myself to keep checking for new books from Ms Swain - I just have to know what happens with Mags and Liam (and their intriguing son Ed) and definitely what happens with David and Angela - nothing like a later in life to romance to tear you up after all.  But, they aren't newcomers to Wynbury so maybe I will be out of luck but a middle-aged woman can hope can't she?

If you are looking for a romantic, funny and lifelike book then I urge you to try any of the Wynbury books as I am certain you will not be disappointed.  They are in the tradition of the best that Katie Fforde and Trisha Ashley publish so you are in very safe hands!

**Review originally published December 6th, 2017**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...