Saturday 10 February 2018

Christmas At The Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson

Back to Budbury and this time for Christmas.

The cast of characters from Summer are all still here - fortunately the indomitable Edie hasn't popped her clogs as the seasons changed - but now we get to see them through the eyes of Laura's sister Becca.  Although she is a firm Bah Humbug (and when she explains why to Edie I will admit to having a little tear in my eye) she has agreed to haul her self-employed personage down to Dorset for the season.

Told with just as much character and joy as the first book in the series I thoroughly enjoyed getting lost with this motley assortment of people all crammed into a tiny village that is full of love.  Although told from a first person perspective somehow the feelings of other characters still manages to shine through the page and this is no mean feat.  Having recently a few books that have left me feeling slightly underwhelmed I am so grateful that I discovered this series.  Maybe I should limit my "chic lit" readings to Northern writers from now on to prevent the disillusionment?

The tale itself is nothing out of the ordinary, it is the characters that lift it and although you just "know" there has to be a happy ending because of the genre you are left crossing your fingers and hoping that it does all work out. 

I did only mark this a 4 star because as much as I enjoyed it, it was a little on the short side.  However, I will settle for short over unnecessary padding and waffle as the tale itself is a perfect little slice of wish fulfillment Christmas reading.

**Review originally published December 4th, 2017**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...