Saturday 10 February 2018

The Future Widows' Club by Rhonda Nelson

The editing on this book is completely non-existent so the typographical errors and completely missing words become a real annoyance and jolt you out of the tale at almost every single page.  Normally I can see a way past this but with the frequency being so high it completely destroyed this book for me.

This is a real shame as the story itself is witty and an unusual take on the crime thriller meets romance genre.  With a strong set of characters that you wish you knew.  Nobody feels stamped out from a guidebook of personality traits and the older women in particular are strong and rather sex-obsessed.  Never have I seen so much attention given to little blue pills.

I was also surprised at what this book actually is, nothing in the blurb led me to believe it would be anything other than a romcom of sorts.  Instead what I got was a charming tale with a nasty little murder thrown in to the mix.  The fact that the main suspect doesn't give a chuff that she is suspected of something she hasn't done and goes right ahead with all those plans she had to make her life better and to heck with the consequences was refreshing.  The stilted romance with an old flame was a bit cringy to be honest but I am pretty sure it was supposed to be.  After all, old flames can make us decidedly uncomfortable.

This would have been a 4 star review because the characters are fantastic and the plot is fresh and fun.  However the lack of even proof reading the manuscript shows and proves that relying on spellcheck simply doesn't work - if you mistype a word but what you typed is a legitimate word (typing of instead of off for instance it will never show up.  Sadly this means I have no real compulsion to revisit Bless Her Heart because I am sure to end up tutting frustratedly at yet another mistake strewn manuscript.

**Review originally published December 22nd, 2017**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...