Saturday 10 February 2018

The Ghosts of Kali Oka Road by M.L. Bullock

I only purchased this book as there was a special deal on the second one in the series so thought I would be as well reading this one first.  This is the beauty of e-book reading you can try new authors without a massive outlay as, lets face it, feeding a reading habit is NOT cheap.

Told from the perspective of several different people each one is given their own chapter.  The real problem starts with the voice of each character, they all read more or less the same so I had to check a couple of times to make sure who was narrating the section.  This is less of a problem than you would first think as much of the book is dialogue driven and the pace is so fast you are at the end before you really know it.  This is helped by it being such a short read,  more of a longform novella than a novel in it's own right which does make me wary of paying for further episodes in the series.

The tale of a haunting at the plantation house and it's surrounding lanes and woods is a good one and the denouement was actually really satisfying and not the way I thought the book was going (which is always a plus).  The characters of Midas and Cassidy are well drawn and sympathetic but others, such as Sara are a little too stereotypical for my preference.  Josh, Sierra and Pete and almost wraiths themselves but maybe they will come more to the fore in later endeavours.

Good tale, told adequately and a quick read that is not as easy to put down as I would have assumed.  A good solid 3.5 Stars really, but I round down!

**Review originally published December 6th, 2017**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...