Saturday 22 August 2020

Lego Creator Roller Coaster 10261

 Bit of a step up from my usual kits but as soon as I saw this it lodged in my brain and kept niggling at me.  Did a bit of maths and decided that seeing as there was not going to be a holiday this year or even a weekend getaway I could take the plunge and purchase this huge set.  Yes, it IS expensive but it is definitely worth every penny; never mind the actual pieces and the build instruction booklets the engineering and design that have gone in to this are incredible.

The mistake I made with this was attempting to construct it over only two days.  I did manage to complete it but I will readily admit I was exhausted at the end of each build session.  There is a lot of repetitive building of the support struts but I didn't find it boring in the slightest, the only problem for me was my finger tips became sore from pushing all the blocks together.  Well worth it because the completed structure is really sturdy and it needs to be because you need to use some force to attach the red tracks as they have a tendency to want to spring back as you attach them.

When I first ran the Coaster it pulled to the top of the lift hill just fine but when it got to the top the bumper was running anti-clockwise so it was trying to push it back down.  On removing the bumper I disassembled and carefully rebuilt from the instructions in Booklet 1 and it still happened.  After 90 minutes of frustration trying to figure out what went wrong I searched online for the problem and came across someone who had the same problem but had figured out the diagrams for the three bumpers had one of the cogs in the wrong place.  I removed each of the bumpers and rebuilt with the amended cog position and lo and behold it worked.  So you can add another 2 Hours to my posted build time.  

Still not marking it down though as I am genuinely impressed with the overall build.  It just fits on a shelf in my living room and I can actually run it from it's new location.  Including moving the second train on to the tracks - I was thrilled by the sliding mechanism for this as it does replicate genuine roller coasters train switching systems.

Number Of Pieces: 4124

Approximate Price Per Piece: £0.07

Build Time: 16.5 Hours











 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...