Monday 14 December 2020

Lego Saturn V 92176

 I was thrilled when The Lego Group decided to reissue this set as I was really disappointed that I had come back to Lego too late to get it.  It had been on my "want list" for a while and in the end I decided just to take the plunge and get it.  I hadn't realised that it was not just the Saturn V rocket model but also included a small Lunar Landing Craft and the Landing Capsule which are nice little builds in their own right.

The rocket itself uses some build techniques that were new to me and highly effective.  I was worried in the early stages as it does look as though the exterior is made from tall curved pieces but these are merely internal structure and the outside uses tiling to create the heat panel effect.  ALL of the detailing is via pre-printed bricks so NO stickers which is definitely a bonus.

Build Time on this was extended because I got over confident and did not read the instructions properly so had issues connecting Stage Two in to Stage One and it took me a while to realise I had a 1x4 out of place which was why they would not connect.  The connections are really secure and yet allow you to break the rocket apart easily should you wish to display it in stages rather than one huge rocket.  When I say huge, I mean HUGE.  Yes, the decription tells you it is just under 39.5 inches tall but somehow until you have built it the true size just doesn't compute.  There are 3 "braces" included in the build so you can display it on it's side - good job too as that is pretty my only option at the moment.

As a final touch can we just talk about the piece count? 1969 - just how cool a detail is that!

Number Of Pieces: 1969

Approximate Price Per Piece: £0.06

Build Time: 5.5 Hours







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...