Tuesday 16 February 2021

Lego Hogwarts Castle 71043

 Knowing how large the finished piece is I put off building this set for several months as finding somewhere to display it was proving to be tricky.  I finally got something figured out and couldn't wait to start building this set.  I am still completely obsessed with Harry Potter and it is this theme that drew me back in to Lego as an adult needing to fill time during the first Lockdown.  That spiralled quite rapidly and led to this beauty becoming mine.

This is one of those sets that does benefit from lighting.  The stained glass windows are so beautiful lit up and I am actually contemplating rigging something up for the display.  I was really surprised at the sheer level of detail in this model, especially as it is micro figure size.  The nods to each of the Harry Potter movies is impressive but The Chamber Of Secrets is my favourite scene representation.

Going in to the build I was not sure about the micro figure proportions.  I am converted!  This may be as I build primarily for display but because it is such a small scale it means you can get a lot more detail in the build without it becoming prohibitively expensive or ridculously large.  I was surprised that even with the smaller scale there is a lot of architectural and furnishing detailing; admittedly some is created by stickers but I can live with that now I have a sticker fixing system in place that means they usually look okay.

I fell in love with the box for this build and was worried I wouldn't enjoy the build or the finished item as I had probably got myself over excited about it.  The build was a wonderful experience - All 8 movies got played whilst I built and then I had to resort to the audiobooks as the films finished before I did!  The finished item lives in my bedroom and it makes my heart sing and a grin break out every time I look it.

Number Of Pieces: 6020

Approximate Price Per Piece: £0.06

Build Time: 18.5 Hours






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...