Saturday 2 March 2019

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

It really is all smoke and mirrors isn't it - what you see may not be real, what you see may be realer than you could ever imagine.  The stoner kid who never seems to change who is always on the same spot in the park - is he really a stoner kid or an abandoned God, clinging on as best he can?  That sweet little old lady in the local library that smells vaguely of cat is she just an old lady or something rather more dangerous?  This seems to be the premise that Neil Gaiman has taken and run with in his, rather unique, style.

I haven't watched the TV series of the book but a co-worker has and recommended it to me as being incredibly strange (I like strange).  Me, being me, would rather have the book so I decided to take the plunge.  Unfortunately, all the way through I kept seeing Ian McShane's face as Mr Wednesday - but I can understand why they cast him as he does irascibly dodgy so well.  That aside, it took me a disappointingly long time to twig who Mr Wednesday really is - I know, I know shameful (especially knowing the author's love of Norse Mythology, in fact ALL mythology going off this book).  I was also in the dark, along with Shadow, as to who his cell mate really was and it was all there in the open, we were just too blind to see it.

What I did find interesting was how much crossover various Religions have (I can waffle for DAYS about the links between Ancient Egyptian belief and the Old Testament/Torah) but had never really considered Norse tradition, Slavic tradition - even Hinduism and Sikhism have crossovers.  It's almost as though "names have been changed" in some cosmic documentary series.  It even made me look further in to traditions and religions I had never given much temporal time to (Eastern European belief systems in particular) so probably took me longer to read because of this popping off to research the Zorya, etc..

I found the book to be completely immersive - so much so I spent an entire day off work curled up on the couch in my pjs just reading, been a LONG time since my entire day has been about a book.  The warp and weft of the story just captivated me and sucked me right in.  I never really felt emotion for the characters though, which is decidedly odd for me; usually if I love a book it is due to character but this one was all about the plot for me.  Although, if Shadow was anyone other than himself it just wouldn't have worked - contradictory I know.

I'm not even really sure how to describe the plot - it just IS.  There is also that little niggle in the back of your mind (the same one that The Stand gave me) that this could be real.  When we create a belief system what happens when it's last adherent passes?  Are we keeping the truly Ancient Religions alive by studying the cuneiform writings or the Hieroglyphics?  By uttering Odin's name, or Freya's on a weekly basis are we keeping the God alive?  By watching MCU movies are Loki and Thor being worshipped once more?  Do Marillion have the power to resurrect Grendel?  I think I am overthinking a fantasy novel rather too much - but I LIKE that it made me think, that it has entertained me mightily but also that it has given me something new to ponder on when I am cannot sleep.

This is a strange book, this is true.  This is a very charming book as well, it's charm coming from the normalcy of every peculiar encounter, dream and circumstance.  Shadow just accepts what is happening around and to him with a peculiar equanimity that speaks more of personal serenity than gullibility.  This is not a book for public reading though, you need to get comfortable and realise that hours will pass whilst you are under it's spell - not so good for a lunch break or commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...