Saturday 2 March 2019

The Perfect Match by Katie Fforde

I'm sure I've read this book before, so much felt familiar and yet the characters themselves didn't ring a mental bell with me.  It just felt very familiar - maybe I've just read too much and now there can be no new plotlines.  This didn't stop me really enjoying this book, and I'm not really sure why - it is relentlessly twee more or less all the way through and some big issues that are mentioned early on (When Dominic and Bella first meet after 3 years he "looks at her with hate in his eyes" and this is never touched on again - it's not just that it isn't satisfactorily explained it just isn't mentioned) are never revisited.

Alice's relationship with Michael, gave me a really bad feeling.  I kept fully expecting him to be a con man and, if I'm being honest, I'm still not convinced that he isn't out there trying to take her for every last penny she has in a long con.  It's not because they are an older couple (it was actually refreshing to see physicality in an older relationship), it just felt so many shades of wrong to me.  Then again Bella's relationship with Dominic is all about obsession - not a good starting point - and is, more or less, set up to fail too.

There are so many bad things about this book - well, the relationships in it and the actions of the characters.  The populace of the book are either really good or really bad with no shading of personality to them.  The situations they find themselves in are verging on the bizarre - particularly the 11:30pm digging episode and the resolution of the Agnews and Jane's housing requirements is just baffling.

Despite all this I have plumped a 4 Star review down for this book.  Simply put it really entertained me and kept me reading until it was finished without a break for longer than it took to fix a sandwich for my lunch or take a toilet break.  As annoying as I found Bella, as naive as I found Alice, as ridiculous as I found much of the plot I became invested in what was going to happen to them and how the happy ending would be manufactured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...