Saturday 19 January 2019

The Break by Marian Keyes

2.5 Stars

This was my first Marian Keyes book and it will probably be my only Marian Keyes book.  I just couldn't get past the banality of the whole thing - from the plot to the characters it all felt somehow like a huge waste of my time.  I did manage to finish it but it was almost car crash reading to be honest as we lurch from one unappealing scenario to another.  One thing that really bothered me was the use of euphemisms and language in the book - swearing doesn't bother me but Amy's almost childlike references to acts of carnality as "Riding" really did bother me.  I have no problem with books that deal with topics such as adultery or abortion but here they are almost trivialised and it did make for eye rolling reading on occassion. 

The basic premise where Hugh wants a break from his marriage to Amy is a promising start.  Although, it does set up immediately that this is a couple that really are incapable of communicating properly - otherwise why would his grief leave him feeling so trapped?  Still, the book started out quite humorously as it introduced the larger family and the set up to the big Break.  So much so, I was sure I was going to really love this book - sadly after about 5 chapters the sheen dissipated and I realised that Amy is particularly self-obsessed and facile and definitely donning the mantle of the "wronged woman".

All of the characters behave in very stereotypical ways if I'm being honest.  Now normally I would say that stereotypes exist because they are universal truths but somehow it just feels lazy on the pages of this book.  You can predict how every character will react in every given situation and men are certainly given a tough ride in this book - they are either inept or complete neanderthal idiots.  Amy moans that some of her friends fall in to the AMAB camp but if their world is populated by creatures such as described in this book then I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The Break is an unedifying take on life that tried hard to be funny but doesn't achieve much beyond a wry, uncomfortable smirk from time to time.  With no real plot of character depth stretched over 500+ pages it is a challenge to finish it but at least you can pick it up and put it down very easily so it is good for filling a 30 minute lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...