Friday 11 January 2019

Perfect Alibis by Jane Wenham-Jones

2.5 Stars

I am pretty sure my distaste for this book came about more from the subject matter than anything else.  Whilst I can appreciate that not everyone has a good marriage, or even a moderately happy one what I cannot appreciate is that the way to rectify is to have an (or multiple) affair(s) - no matter whether you are male or female.  I suppose that as the heart of this book is about women grabbing their own happiness then it does, to some extent subvert the more traditional tropes but it still sets out, certainly in the initial chapters, to glorify cheating.  There are redeeming qualities in that the cheaters, almost uniformly, get their just desserts but it still left a lingering distaste for this reader.

The set up of PAs reminded me quite a bit of the rival spy agencies in Mr And Mrs Smith (the Jolie/Pitt film), and Madeleine's constant firefighting on behalf of her clients was rather inspired.  She may have been my favourite character - especially at the end.  Steph, our main protagonist, however irritated me beyond measure.  I can understand feeling trapped by the minutiae of life, of feeling unappreciated and unnoticed but the steps she takes to escape the humdrum are worrying.  Trying to reclaim your youth through another will never end well and Steph does find this out eventually.

Characterisation throughout is pretty skillfully wrought and the populace of the book are relatively diverse and individual.  None of them are particularly likeable but they are human beings and come across as such.  The plot is well constructed and has a certain flow upon the page, I just didn't really enjoy it as it is all about the worst of people and if I want that I can just watch or read the news.  I suppose Steph's story can be seen as redeeming in some ways and, at a stretch, as a cautionary tale.

The rating I have given this book is purely based on the craft of the author as the story itself would have been a big fat zero.  Not a book I could recommend to anyone unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...