Sunday 30 December 2018

I Know You by Annabel Kantaria

This was a good premise for a book but one I have now read several times, that doesn't mean it is bad it just means that it is now becoming a standard to use Social Media as a means for stalking in the plot.  Fortunately in this book it is well executed and it has the added bonus of reminding people to be careful what you post and to check those privacy settings carefully.

The best bits for me were the stream of snark directed at the victim from the stalker - be honest we have all had "those" thoughts when reading someone's Facebook / Instagram / Twitter feeds.  I did actually find some of them quite funny - especially the stalkers diatribes about her book reviews and her foodieness.

One thing the author did well was disguise who was being stalked here - it could have been Taylor or it could have been Anna and it isn't made clear until near the end exactly who the object of the stalker's hatred is.  There are also multiple plausible candidates for the role of stalker and the book is nicely twisty so that you keep changing your mind.  Unfortunately, about 25% of the way in I figured out who was being stalked and by whom so the rest of the book became much less intriguing.  Luckily there was  a nice twist at the end with the real identity of the stalker (something I didn't see coming as it was a little bit of history we had not been made privy to); also the denouement was quite shocking.

I did enjoy the book, it just didn't make my heart race or my fingers itch to get to the next page to reveal all.  The characterisations are good and the neediness of Taylor alone in a foreign country with a husband constantly away for work was well described.  All the other characters from Anna and Simon to the lesser ones of Susan and Caroline are also fleshed out nicely on the page.  I'm not sure what was missing from this one for me but it didn't quite check all my boxes for a compulsive read.

I will try another one or two of this author's works as she has good ideas that she is well able to execute on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...