Wednesday 19 December 2018

Faking Friends by Jane Fallon

This was my first Jane Fallon book and it will definitely not be my last.  I always like to try a new author and even though I was a little dubious about the premise for the book (more about that later) it was on sale so I decided to give it a try.  The writing is witty, warm and time has been spent on understanding how people function and this shone through in the telling.  To be perfectly honest my personal prejudices about the main theme are what marked this one down a little for me.

The whole basic plot is girl finds out her best friend has been moving in on her boyfriend whilst she is working in a different country - actually literally moving in.  So, she sets out to get her revenge on both the so-called friend and her boyfriend.  Here's my issue with what I thought I was going to get (so glad I was wrong).  I was expecting some sort of quasi-feminist tract about being a strong woman and being unrepentantly selfish to get your own back on people.  I was expecting nasty people with scary agendas to proliferate and rise to the top like the cream on a pint of Jersey milk.  Basically I bought the book so I could get on my moral high horse and be offended - this is 2018 people and we are supposed to be offended all the time after all.

Instead what I got was warm and funny and more a story about the nature of true friendship than anything else.  Yes the revenge takes centre stage but the main character, Amy, suffers so much guilt over her actions that I actually forgave her for some of her more heinous acts.  When she gets a new beau my heart did do a little sinking motion in my chest but even that has a little twist to it that I really didn't see coming.  I also liked the fact that Melissa doesn't just lie down and accept her fate - she fights back.  Each character felt fully rounded and a truly human mixture of good, bad and indifferent which helped to bring the book alive in my head instead of just on the page.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading more from this author's catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...