Thursday 27 December 2018

A Christmas In Cornwall by Laura Briggs

2.5 Stars

Okay, so it is fiction and we have to allow some latitude but it irrationally annoyed me that the weather experienced in one of the, traditionally, warmer parts of the British Isles was so relentlessly wrong.  Maybe by the time I read this book 10 days ago I was getting jaded at the White Christmas motif but maybe it is more to do with the fact that you are unlikely to get a White Christmas in Cornwall - a foggy Christmas definitely but not a white one.  There also seemed to be real issues with the size of the town the hall is attached to as well, one minute quaint and rural and the next it felt like a moderately sized town which I found very distracting.

The only thing that saved this one for me was the descriptions of the events at the hall and all it's Christmas finery.  It did prepare me well for the season and almost made me want to get that tree out and start decorating.  Unfortunately it would them move from the magical setting to the rather pathetic "love triangle" engendered by Julianne's old flame popping up to muddy the waters between her and Matt.  Couple this with her altruistic behaviour when Matt is offered a teaching post in the US and it all felt a little blah and written by numbers.

A quick read that is perfect for fitting in around your festivities but not one that made me want to indulge any further in this rather lengthy series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...