Sunday 23 September 2018

The Corset by Laura Purcell

This is an attempt at a novel in the grand Gothic, Victorian style.  That touch of mystery, the daring twist to the end, a glimpse of the unfortunate poor and grisly death backdropped against Society.  Sadly, it didn't quite pull it off.  All the ingredients are there but I found the links between the potentially supernatural nature of the deaths and the more logical causes (diptheria, arsenic poisoning) to be overlaboured and somewhat distracting.  Maybe this says more about my interests than I would like - after all recognising the signs of Arsenic poisoning doesn't speak to a balanced mind I suppose.

My biggest issue with the book is Dorothea Truelove.  I don't mind that she believes in Phrenology, that she believes it is the true denoter of our personalities and that the shape of our skull can be changed by "good works".  No, what I could not bear about her was her sanctimonious outlook on others.  She is an odious, spoilt child who although "five and twenty" behaves in a far younger manner and seems to believe that only she can be correct in any situation and that she is "owed" the truth and obeisance from others.

Maybe this was a deliberate ploy by the author to better highlight Ruth Butterham.  I found her character to be far more realistic.  Touchingly naive and trusting but with a backbone forged from true steel to endure the loss of her family and the tragedies of Mrs Metyard's.  Ruth's confusion about her situation and her honest belief that she could somehow weave emotion in to her sewing was beautifully constructed and you were left feeling as though this was a real person telling you her tale.

Unfortunately, the other characters in the book are all a little two dimensional and sadly predictable.  The one exception being the charismatic Billy Rooney - but in the end even he falls into a disappointing morass of predictability.  The other girls in Metyard's sewing room are purely there as foils to Ruth's innocence and are cliches of Dickensian characters (the cruel and selfish Daisy and Ivy, the timid Nell and the dreamer that is Mim).

I sort of liked the book but I really didn't love it.  I wanted to as a good Gothic tale is a wonderful joy to be savoured.  Regrettably, there was not over much to savour here for this reader.  It passed the time well enough and there was some good writing, I just found the scenarios and the people stretched too finely upon their frame.

THIS IS AN HONEST AND UNBIASED REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THIS NOVEL RECEIVED VIA THE PIGEONHOLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...