Friday 7 September 2018

Perfect Ten by Jacqueline Ward

          There was a lot about this book that annoyed me and I will be honest here and say that the only reason I have given this title 2 Stars is for the quality of the writing.  I really appreciated Ms Ward's manipulation of language to build tension and then to dissipate it whilst leaving you interested to find out what is going to happen next.  All this despite the characters being completely unlikable and the plot feeling somehow "fake" - I know that is a strange thing to say about a piece of fiction but I am sure regular readers will understand my meaning.

Alarm bells sounded for for me when I saw the cover splash "For Those Of Us Affected By #MeToo".  This immediately made me uneasy and from reading the story I was right to feel so. 

The basic premise is Caroline takes revenge on her cheating ex-husband Jack by setting out to harass and humiliate all the women that had relationships with him whilst he was married to her.  What she fails to take in to account is that she is doing the same thing when she goes on a bender to her Premier Inn Men and sleeps with a married man - Caroline would have you that this is different as it is a one-night stand and not a relationship like the other women had.  What then evolves is a distasteful story of manipulation, trial by Social Media and the spiralling out of control of a supposedly intelligent women.  Even in it's seeming support of Caroline's viewpoint I felt there was something misogynistic about the whole thing.

I am waiting for the author to tell me I missed the point, that the point is Caroline was wrong to act as she did and that the book was intended as a satire.  Unfortunately, I think it is meant to be taken at face value.

THIS IS AN HONEST AND UNBIASED REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THE BOOK RECEIVED VIA THE PIGEONHOLE.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...