Wednesday 18 March 2020

The Book Of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd

The first thing I would like to address in this review is the elephant in the room - religion.  This book is definitely going to cause ructions in some quarters, dealing as it does with a fictional representation of Jesus Christ as being a normal human man and the "lost years" between birth and becoming a Leader Of Men.  Depending on your proclivities the representation of him as living a normal life in those years and even taking a wife may be a real hot button issue; for me I find it wholly realistic that he would have been married as this was very much the expected norm at the time.  The representation of him having brothers and an Earthly family may also be an issue for some but again, this sits true for me.

The main thrust of the story though is not Jesus and his life, it is about Ana and her life.  From daughter of a senior official for Herod Antipas through betrothal, marriage, loss and fear how her life develops in a time when women were seen as a man's chattels.  Ana has a strong, clear voice that draws the reader in and I found myself reluctant to put the book down.  I am reluctant to talk too much about the plot as it unfolds so organically on the page that to mention more than the bare bones I feel spoils the adventure for another.

The historical research feels impeccable and the realisation of Nazareth, Jerusalem and Alexandria come alive on the page.  The sights, the sounds, the smells they are all evoked by the text and the author really pulls you back to this time.  The language used is very much now which makes it completely accessible and I was relieved that there was little in the way of trying to replicate the sentence and speech patterns of the Before Common Era peoples.  Whilst some may prefer this I find that it provides a disconnect as you spend much of your time trying to parse the words in to a format which makes sense to the reader and for fiction is wholly (in my opinion) unnecessary.

I was not prepared to be so swept up in this novel and to enjoy reading what could be such a tragic story.  There is an underlying message of hope in Ana's tale that seeps off the page and catches the reader unawares.  If you know your New Testament then many of the background events feel familiar (I was educated at a Convent school so did find myself playing "spot the link" quite frequently) and it also gives a good explanation of Judaic custom that is still followed by some branches of the religion to this day (eg., the Mikvah).  Don't be fooled though whilst there is a lot about Religion in this book first and foremost this is Ana's story and from the moment she first daubs in her prayer bowl she gets her most heartfelt desire; to be a Voice.

I can see how this book of fiction could be seen as being divisive and how some may find it shocking and maybe even blasphemous.  For me it is neither of those things; it is a story told with passion, empathy and a deep understanding of people.

THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THE BOOK RECEIVED VIA AMAZON.CO.UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...