Monday 2 March 2020

Gheist by Richard Mosses

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this novel but I found myself completely engrossed after the first couple of chapters. It has a little bit of various sorts of supernatural trickery and all set in the City Of Sin. The publisher's blurb really doesn't do this book justice at all, but it is a pretty accurate summation of the events.

Kat finds herself stranded in Las Vegas after her fiance does a bunk owing a whole lot of money to various loan sharks. Unfortunately, they seem to think that Kat is responsible for his debts and in order to try and pay it off she resorts to illicit, high stakes poker games which bring her in to contact with the unofficial Sultan of the Strip - Danton. Danton has a few unusual acquaintances and decides that the only fair thing to do is to use some of their talents to take something very precious to Kat; something she will do anything to get back.

Throw in a weird little church where the congregation are all ghosts, the planning of possibly the biggest heist in Vegas history and a whole lot of general weirdness and I found myself gripped. I honestly didn't expect that to happen but after about 4 or 5 chapters I was in this book all the way and thoroughly enjoying every moment. Well, almost every moment - Clint's flashbacks to when he was alive seemed to drag on and on, the reason why this character is belaboured so much becomes apparent in the big showdown but that still didn't stop them boring me.

The metaphysical world is well thought through and there do seem to be an awful lot of rules governing it. The idea of anchors for ghosts is a good one and used intelligently through the book; as is their ability to react with the physical world. Characterisation is solid throughout but I was desperate to learn more about Melchior and also about the Church.

Well constructed, exciting and a refreshing slant on an unseen world.

THIS IS AN HONEST AND UNBIASED REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THE BOOK RECEIVED VIA BOOK SIRENS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...