Friday 2 November 2018

Its Not You, Its Them by Portia MacIntosh

I wasn't entirely convinced by the heroine of our book and her overweening desire to be adored by her fiances parents.  I get that it's stressful meeting the other halves family for the first time but you aren't going to be spending the rest of your life with them - if you get on bonus if you don't just grit your teeth and get through the family functions.  For some reason though she is almost pathological about them liking her.  Obviously, as is the way with thios genre, this leads to a myriad of misunderstandings before all coming right in the end.

There is some humour to be found in the situation; sadly it comes at the expense of characters getting very, very drunk.  Maybe I am just getting out of touch with the world but the scenarios depicted all seemed to go just that little bit too far to make them feel relatable to real life.  The characters really don't have much character to them and are just names on a page - perhaps the best evidence of this is the fact I cannot remember a single character name a week after finishing the book.

That said I have marked this down as a 3 Star read in my notebook.  Seems strange when you read what I have to say about it doesn't it.  Simply put the writing is very strong and does keep you engaged even though you couldn't care less about the people or the situations they are in.  Ms McIntosh can tell a tale and even if it's component parts aren't your bag the telling of it keeps your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...