Saturday 10 November 2018

Do You Remember The First Time by Jenny Colgan

3.5 Stars

When I started reading this book I hadn't read the publishers blurb (I rarely do - they are generally full of hyperbole and have been known to give unrealistic expectations) so when I realised this was, essentially, a bit of a time travel fantasy I was a touch reluctant. This isn't really something I expected from this particular author. However, it is still firmly within her usual niche - and for that I am grateful.

I found it a little confusing that only Flora went back in time to being 16. She didn't return to her original 16 year old life but only went back a few weeks so everyone else remained the same except for Flora, her mum and her dad. Strangely her Best Friend, her Boyfriend and one other all recognise that their 32 year old Flora is in the body of 16 year old Flora - very odd. In fact it is quite an odd tale all around.

What I did enjoy was the characters and they very definitely kept me reading. The voices within the book are lively and distinct and whether or not you particularly warm to the character you can at least acknowledge them as an individual. I couldn't really take to Flora as a 32 year old but I did empathise with the 16 year old. Can you imagine going back to that age again - horrific! I also enjoyed the difference between her 80s experience and her 00s experience; it seems that some things never change no matter the march of technology.

This was a fun, undemanding read that I genuinely enjoyed - once I got past the rather wonky Back To The Future thing going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...