Tuesday 21 August 2018

Kurtain Motel by A.I. Nasser

I found this to be a bit of a confused mess of a book.  There is a sound idea behind the tale - everyone has a dark secret that they don't want anyone to know and there are entities out there that feed upon the depravity and to feed they just need to make you confess.  Unfortunately the author hops about all over the place with the idea and it felt like the reason for the various hallucinations and nightmares experienced by the residents of the Motel were the be all and end all of the tale and then they realised that there had to be a reason for it and a balance for it (in the form of Tara and her little boy).

There is little exploration of the personality of the characters in the book, they are merely there as a showcase for their particular "crime"; abortion, fraud (possibly a ponsi scheme but it is not clearly explained), murder, drug use and plagarism.  Each one is haunted by something that reminds them of what they did - although the spiders for the plagarist are never really explained.  There is a sense of terror for a couple of the manifestations but only a couple and not enough to keep you interested in the story.

I did slog through to the end which is almost an apocalyptic escape from the Motel and I was relieved to get there.  Unfortunately there are further tales in the series and although I am sure the author has worked hard to improve their craft after this one I am not likely to pick up another one to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...