Thursday 19 July 2018

Where The Light Gets In by Lucy Dillon

This was a bit of a mixed bag of a read for me.  I wasn't really disappointed in it as such (even though I have thoroughly enjoyed other books by this author) I just couldn't really connect with the people or the place.  The story arc didn't really grab me either if I'm being honest and it all felt a little bit contrived - what really galled me is that Lorna (our main character) mentions that the accounts for the Gallery don't tally but this is never resolved.  It did make me wonder if the editor had snipped a side story out as they are never referred to again.  It is made perfectly clear up to this point that Lorna is meticulous in her approach to work so it is pretty much unconceivable that she had made an error of what we are led to believe is some magnitude judging by her panic over paying the taxman.

That aside there are some well drawn characters in the book.  I particularly liked the depth of Samson who had such a changeable personality he felt completely real; his brother Gabriel on the other hand is completely one dimensional and almost reminded me of a Regency Villain so few where his redeeming features.  The real chracters here are Joyce Rothery and Betty, Betty may not be in the book for very long but she sure leaves a lasting impression from her few pages and Joyce is just the sort of old woman we all hope to live to be.  Unfortunately Lorna herself is a bit wishy washy and I just couldn't empathise with her and her supposed trials and tribulations.  She is also a little bit of a doormat and for some reason that actively repels me in a character.

The sections dealing with Lorna trying to rejuvenate the local Gallery and bring new life to it are quite interesting and the plans she makes for Art Week are so seemingly simple and yet very powerful.  I also really liked the yarnbombing theme and it almost made me want to attempt learning to knit - again (much to my grandmother's disgust I never could get an even tension - much like Lorna in the book).  I think it was these interludes of life in the shop that kept me interested in the tale.

I enjoyed chunks of the book but parts of it left me feeling all a bit meh and made me want to skim through.  I persevered with it though but ultimately did not feel rewarded on completing the tale.  I am sure if you can connect with the main character you will garner much more enjoyment from the book than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...