Wednesday 20 June 2018

Close To Home by Cara Hunter

First off there are no chapters here, there are natural breaks as we switch perspective or format but there are no actual chapters.  Told from multiple viewpoints within the investigative team, facebook posts, newspaper articles and twitter feeds this is a very modern police procedural.  It also throws a laser beam on the court of public opinion that seems to take the place of actual reporting and fact these days.

It is a very clever book but not in a "look at me, look how smart I am" way.  It seems to evolve naturally and unfold on the page in real time and completely drew me in.  See how I mentioned above that there are no chapters well this is where that becomes a problem because there is no natural breaking off point you forget to look at the clock and find yourself staying up far too late so absorbed by the story are you.

The plot is all here and it covers everything from relationships, the "keeping up with The Joneses" mentality, jealousy and the workings of a police investigation.  The frustration DI Fawley and his team feel is balanced with their euphoria at finding another lead and their crashing disappointment as it turns in to a dead end.  There is no easy or convenient smoking gun here and events don't feel manipulated to provide a resolution to the tale and when the reveal comes it is somewhat out of left field and not one I saw coming at all.

Characterisation is sparse but somehow you come to feel like you know not only the police team but the family at the centre of the shocking disappearence of Daisy Mason.  Not only that but her school friends and their parents all have a strong presence despite their limited page time.  It is a very modern tale and I do fear it will not stand the test of time as technology, in particular social media, moves on but for right here and now in 2018 it is an engrossing read.

As a debut novel it is a stunning piece of writing and I see that there are 2 more books slated for release this year alone - I just hope that the same care and attention has been lavished on those as have been on this book because I am aching to read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...