Sunday 15 April 2018

Off Balance by Terez Mertes Rose

I read these books out of order but it really does not matter as Off Balance and Outside The Limelight may both deal with the West Coast Ballet Theatre and have some of the same cast this really doesn't matter as each book is about a different set of characters.  In Off Balance we are only concerned with Alice (a former soloist for the WCBT who has a horrendous fall on stage that cuts short her career) and Lana a new recruit to the WCBT who is pushed straight in to the role of Soloist much to the chagrin of the established members.

The author's first hand knowledge of what it takes to make a career in the world of Ballet and how much of a toll it takes on your body are obvious throughout the book.  You can almost smell the sweat and tears of Company Class and Rehearsals through her prose.  I did find myself looking forward to the scenes set at the theatre rather than at Alice's home or at various fundraisers and events.  I think this may simply be because I have a love for dance and am intrinsically nosy about what goes on behind the scenes.

The characterisations throughout are wonderfully wrought.  The main characters of Alice and Lana are beautifully nuanced, complete people who you find yourself genuinely caring about.  Gil is a bit of a waste of space initially and seems to think he is entitled to everything.  Lana soon seems to knock that out of him but I did find myself worrying about the effect his rampant ego would have on this doormat of a girl.  As the reasons for Lana's rather wet fish personality become apparent you really do start rooting for her to overcome her upbringing.  It also serves as a salient reminder, mainly through Alice, that families are never the face they present to the world.

I loved this book and am only sad that there are only 2 books in the series and I have now read both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...