Thursday 19 December 2019

A Perfect Cornish Christmas by Phillipa Ashley

3.5 Stars

I didn't really read the blurb for this book so when I started reading and found it was set in Porthmellow Harbour I was actually really pleased to be in a familiar setting.  However, it is only really a back drop to the story with a host of new characters and the odd name drop cameo of the characters from A Perfect Cornish Summer.  Bit disappointing really as I would have loved to catch up with Sam and Chloe.

The other disappointment in the book is that, for this reader, it tries to do too much.  Instead of settling on two or three main themes throughout, it all gets a bit muddled and jumbled up whilst trying to cover everything.  So much so, I found myself losing interest in the central story of the fall out from what should have been a fun present the previous Christmas that turned the whole family inside out.  The author does do a good job of showing family dynamics and how each individual reacts to the revelation that Scarlett is not her father's biological daughter, but the whole push to discover the circumstances regarding her birth do become a little tedious after a while.  This is not helped by all the other side plots that are brewing.

The Christmas Festival does sound wonderful and I almost found myself wanting to go - even if the torch parade did make me think of the Shetland New Year celebrations.  The whole setting does come alive in this book and at least the tide does come in occasionally at Porthmellow, although I don't think it is the time of year to be taking the plunge in to it's wild waters.

There are some nice romantic flourishes throughout the book for Scarlett, her sister Ellie and even their mother.  Ms. Ashley does a good job of making these heartwarming and touching whilst just about avoiding the schmaltz that it is easy to slip in to at this time of year.  Although, I will admit I was far more interested in Ellie's potential romance than in Scarlett's.

A nice, easy festive read that brings plenty of cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...