Sunday 3 November 2019

Deadline by Craig McLay

This novel was surprisingly bitty, none of the smoothness that I have come to expect from the author.  This isn't helped by multiple narrators so I never really felt that I got to "know" any of the characters.  The storyline falls, just about, in to a supernatural thriller category but it never really got off the ground for me; probably because his influences were showing.

The best thing I can say about it is that once the setting and the main players have been established it moves along at a cracking pace - if you make it past the first 20% or so of the book it becomes a roller coaster ride of revelations and brutal murders.  Unfortunately by that point I had already realised that I wasn't going to really care about how this worked out so I was just following on for the set pieces.  There are some lavishly gruesome ones but it all felt a little more like a screenplay than an actual novel and I can't pin down why. 

I usually love this author but this one left me wanting more.  In it's own twisted way it was fun to read but I'm not breathlessly waiting to get my hands on the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...