Monday 30 September 2019

A Wedding At The Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson

3.5 Stars

I'm not really surprised this is the last in the series as it felt like Budbury had run it's course and there was nothing really new to add to the story of this bizarre and charming little town.  This was an okay read but it somehow felt a little flat and damp squibbish compared to the others in the series.  Maybe there just wasn't enough of the enigmatic Cherie Moon to lift it.

Whilst I enjoyed Auburn's story there were few surprises after the initial revelation during the "hen do".  Do you know, I can't even remember who it was getting married - I want to say Kate and Matt but I'm really not too sure (admittedly I finished this book 3 weeks before writing the review).  What's more I remember little about the wedding apart from the fact it had a Zombie theme - typical Budbury off the wall choice there.

This was a holiday read and it fitted in well to the relaxed atmosphere of a hotel room and the general feeling of "lots of day and no plans".  This would probably have had a much lower rating if I'd read it at home between the normal frenzy of shift work and general day to day.  I'm wracking my brains to remember anything outstanding about the story and I really can't - somehow the love triangle with Auburn at it's centre failed to captivate me and there really wasn't enough of the other characters in this one for them to stand out either.  So zombie wedding and love triangle is what stays with me (to be honest some of that was jarred loose by a quick read through some other reviews).  However, my notebook shows I rated this 3/4 * so I'll stick with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...