Wednesday 21 August 2019

Demonic Indemnity by Craig McLay

The blurb for this one grabbed me immediately.  I love a bit of Urban Fantasy and could you imagine the claims you'd get to investigate if you worked for an Insurance Company in a world where all those horror story creatures live alongside humanity.  To be honest, I fully expected to be disappointed in this book as my imagination was already well away with demons and vampires and werewolves...Oh My!  What I didn't expect was to be swept up into such a vividly realised fictional world that completely sucked me in.

Our lead character, Tim, is a bit of a bumbling buffoon but quite charmingly so.  His frustrations with his brother sharing his small apartment and the mess he leaves behind (honestly, scabs crumbs down the couch, drained blood bags on the counter tops who wouldn't be mad?) are relatable to anyone who has shared living space with anyone ever (even if the issue of blood bags hopefully has never arisen).  His Imposters Complex at work, especially since his promotion, are realistic too - it just happens that as the token human in the SIU he is probably right as it does all smack of positive discrimination and his co-workers make sure he knows that.

There are issues with editing in the book but it such an enjoyable novel I actually managed to overlook plot holes, grammatical foul ups and even mid-sentence personnel changes.  Who cares if Tim suddenly changes his name for a sentence, I found that I didn't.  I did wonder how he kept getting himself in to such diabolical (in the most literal meaning of the word) scrapes and why a mere Insurance Investigator would go to such lengths to investigate what happened at the back street psychic parlour and then I remembered - insurance companies never want to pay out so he was, after all, just doing his job.

I am looking forward to reading more books by this author as the overall novel is fun, fast paced and put a huge great smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...