Saturday 29 June 2019

The Woman In The Photograph by Stephanie Butland

          3.5 Stars

This is an undeniably well written book with solid pacing and a strong narrator in Vee.  Starting with the Ford Dagenham women striking for equal pay and taking us up to the modern day it charts Vee's rise as a professional photographer and as one of the Second Wave Of Feminism.  Split in to 7 Sections (like the Seven Ages Of Man - I see what you did there author, I see) each is prefaced by a description of a photograph and the major events of the year it was taken and then goes on to tell us, from Vee's perspective, what happened in her life during this period.  This is effective and helps sink the reader in to the setting.

My issue really came with the introduction of Leonie.  She represents everything that makes my teeth itch about Feminism.  This is a woman that espouses equality but really wants domination over and the subjugation of men.  Strangely this is best shown in her interactions with other women, even her supposed Sisters, who she browbeats in to accepting her ideology.  Whilst she appears to be good for Vee initially I really felt that she, ultimately, ruined Vee's personal life and hopes for happiness.

When we finally met Erica, Leonie's niece, who is setting up the retrospective of Vee's work we are invited to see her as a repressed woman.  Concerned with trying to juggle family and professional life, initially you empathise with her as these are struggles any parent can relate to.  The problem comes when Vee gets to know her on a personal level and indoctrinates her in to the ways of Feminism.  I got so angry with the portrayal of Erica's husband as being infantilised and almost a second child for her to raise.  Yes, there are men like that but equally there are a vast number that genuinely co-parent and have a partnership with their significant other but this is a relationship stuck in a 1950s time warp.

Unfortunately there is no separation between the author and the subject and her own views come through strongly.  These are views that I, personally, find borderline toxic and it did really spoil the story for me as I could feel my blood boiling regularly throughout the story.  Yes, I am female.  Yes, I am a married working mother.  Yes, I do believe that all people should be treated fairly and equally.  No, I do not believe that this what the Feminist Movement wants. 

The book itself is very well written and the author should be applauded for having the courage of her convictions (even if in my case it would be with a somewhat sarcastic slow handclap).  The characters are well drawn and, with the exception of Leonie, are mainly sympathetically written, multi-faceted people.  Emotions feel genuine and in proportion to the events.  However, my personal bias against the subject matter did colour my enjoyment and subsequent review of the material.

THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THE BOOK RECEIVED VIA READERS FIRST.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...