Tuesday 9 April 2019

The Impossible Climb by Mark Synott

          Let me preface this review by stating that I have no interest whatsoever in climbing; to be entirely honest I have always viewed it as being a rather peculiar thing to want to do.  In fact, like all extreme sports, I tend to tut and shake my head in a resigned and derogatory fashion if it should ever be mentioned.  Fortunately, this a rare occurence living somewhere that doesn't really lend it self to such pursuits.  This novel occupies a peculiar slot as it is part autobiography, part biography, part history and part instruction manual.

So, having no interest in the sport why did I pick up the book?  It is very simple really, the writing grabs you and just refuses to let go.  Even the more technical sections dealing with equipment or climbing methods are fairly easy to follow for a person with no prior knowledge and, somehow, I assume they will not patronise someone more familiar.  Whilst it hasn't converted me in to someone who would begin to contemplate even gym climbing it has given me an understanding of the motivation to scale what looks like the untrained eye a sheer wall of rock.

There are certainly some characters in the book.  From the author, Mark Synott, himself and through a whole plethora of what can only be described as surfer-type hippie dudes (the Stonemasters) and through to Alex Honnold himself.  It must be said the discussion of the early years for both the author and Alex are some of the best in the book but there is a lot of good character based writing here about a whole cast of people.  The mountains themselves become distinct characters in the book and, judging by the affection which the author gives them, I am pretty sure to those involved in the climbing fraternity they are as alive as they are.

I will readily admit to cheating when I started reading the book - I wanted to know if Alex had managed this seemingly impossible feat or if the book was to end in disaster.  Somehow I wanted the drama to be less about the final guts or glory moment and more about the journey.  Somehow I think the author did too as much of the book is about other climbs and other climbers.

The writing style is a real joy to read, open and with plenty of wit.  The author really does bring the climbing lifestyle to life on the page; admittedly he does glorify it a little bit, but as he has such passion for the subject I can understand that.  For a non-climber this was a completely engrossing and instructive read.

THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW OF A FREE COPY OF THE BOOK RECEIVED FROM READERS FIRST.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...