Sunday 7 October 2018

Summer Secrets At The Apple Blossom Deli by Portia MacIntosh

Maybe it was because I was on holiday when I read this but I really enjoyed this tale of a mis-placed Southerner trying to make a new life for herself in a small Northern Village for her and her son.  You do have to suspend disbelief that a large deli chain would open a branch in a small seaside community like this one but seeing as they seem to be the hippy alternative to Whole Foods why not?

I loved the frosty reception from the majority of the locals, none of them want the new Deli and many fear it will affect their livelihoods so you can understand it.  There is also the undercurrent of simply not liking strangers moving in to disrupt their community.  Only Alfie, Clara and her husband are welcoming and they make a great contrast to the behaviour of everyone else - particularly the mums at the schoolgate.  Whilst not something I have ever experienced having never moved far from my home town it does have a ring of authenticity to it.

There are all the expected trials, tribulations and false romantic starts that are beloved of the genre.  However, the turning up of Frankie's dad (who is a real waste of skin) threw a rather fresh spanner in to the works and delivered some moments of genuine humour.  Lily's parenting style is rather unrealistic though - she never seems to lose her temper with Frankie and talks everything through with him instead - whilst we would all love to be this perfect it just doesn't happen as situations overtake us.

Thoroughly enjoyable and I did find myself struggling to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...