Thursday 17 May 2018

Where Have All The Boys Gone? by Jenny Colgan

This is a book completely devoid of any reality whatsoever - except we all know an Olivia, albeit not as extreme as the one in the book, but we all know one.  The denouement comes as no surprise whatsoever to the reader, even if it does to the main character, Katie.  It is complete and utter fluff.  However, it is well written fluff that entertains and keeps you turning the pages wanting to see what disastrous mess Katie is going to get in to next.  As you can tell by the 4 star rating, I thoroughly enjoyed every second I had reading this book.

Fairlish comes across as a bit of a Brigadoon type place, but as many places in the Highlands of Scotland have that distinct vibe to them then that comes as no surprise.  The surprise comes from how welcome the locals make Katie and Lauren, two Southerners who decamp up there when Katie gets seconded on a PR job up there and Lauren is simply running away from the disaster that was her romantic life.  Either everyone living there is transplanted from the South or they are the strangest lot of Highlanders I've ever come across.

It is not a laugh out loud book but it is definitely humorous and I did find myself grinning my way through it.  It is light and fresh and I really enjoyed the juxtaposition between the London activity and Fairlish.  Particularly how the change of pace affects both Katie and Lauren and, eventually, alters their outlooks on how life should be lived or, rather, how their individual lives should be lived.

This is a perfect holiday read, especially is the weather is as unclement as a British summer usually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...