Sunday 13 May 2018

Shadow Boxer by Jen Greyson

Things really don't get any easier for Evy, indeed she is further away from mastering her Riding in this, the second book of the Lightning Rider series, than she was at the beginning of the first.  With no real mentor, she is cast adrift into her first alteration - can she save Constantine's daughter?  It's to be hoped she can as Penya has told her that her descendants will be an intrinsic part of the earth's scientific future; more importantly her second alteration hinges on it.

Ilif and Penya are still popping in and out of Evy's life - as is Constantine.  The lines between good and bad become ever more blurred and Evy has no idea who trust.  All she knows is she has been tasked with getting access to Nikola Tesla's work and getting his notebooks back to the 21st century.  This is where the strength of the book lies - not in Evy's emotional issues (of which much is made seemingly without end) but in the science and the eccentricity of genius.

I found as the book went on that Evy's riding is somewhat erratic and the necessity for her to keep going back to Constantine for "training" became a little annoying; actually more than a little if I'm being honest.  Rather too much soul searching goes on for this reader I have to admit - the action is frenetic and well written and I found myself wanting to jump sections just to get to back to Tesla; those sections really do make the book for me.  Admittedly Tesla is written in a very sympathetic light, much of what I have read about him makes him seem quite an unsavoury character so it was nice to have a different opinion (albeit a fictitious one).

Great plotting and story development and the introduction of another Rider to the mix leaves us on a great cliffhanger.  Even more importantly just what are Ilif and Penya up to and who can Evy trust?  Sadly, my own opinions formed early in this book seem to be coming to fruition and you can't help wondering how street smart Evy got sucked in.

Guess, I'll have to read book 3 to find out if I was right or not won't I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...