Friday 4 January 2019

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

This is my first Sophie Kinsella book and whilst it wasn't great, it wasn't bad.  Safe to say I will at least try another of hers before making a decision as to whether or not to purchase more.  You see, my issues weren't with the writing or the characterisation within the book but rather with the plot.  I could sincerely not get on board with the whole idea of phone sharing, especially a complete stranger being allowed to keep a company phone that she "found" which was getting emails for what is essentially a company director - no, I could not get past that and it is a major part of the story.

Apart from the ridiculousness of the situation, the rest of the plot is actually pretty good.  I particularly liked Poppy's issues around her prospective in-laws, nicely tense but not over dramatised, even if the whole kimono thing was overblown.  I wasn't too sure about the ending if I'm being honest, you could see where it was going but, ultimately, it left a sour taste behind and you kind of want joy from this genre.

Characterisation was very well done, no endless descriptive passages to get across someone's character just broad strokes on the page that allow the reader to learn about them in the way we formulate opinions about people we meet in real life.  Even side characters like Ruby, who barely get page time, you feel like you have a good idea of who they are as a person.  To be honest I think this is all that kept me reading on as the plot annoyed me and the footnotes were even worse - yes, I get why they were there and I truly understand the decision behind them but when reading in a digital format they are a royal nuisance.

I know this sounds like I hated the book but I really didn't, it just frustrated me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lego Tony Stark's Sakaarian Iron Man 76194

 I know nothing about the "What If" TV show but what I do know is that I absolutely LOVE Mechs and Lego always manage to put somet...